AMONG the various enterprises connected with the industrial life of our city, prominent and commendatory mention should be made of the Art Metal Works, a concern which has been in active operation many years and has earned a most excellent reputation, and is annually increasing its output and extending its trade territory.
The factory and main office of the Art Metal Works are in Mulberry street covering lots 7, 9, 11, 13, and 15. Here the spectator may see well-equipped quarters and find one of Newark’s busy and prosperous establishments. The New York office is in the Everett Building 45 E 17th street, and the Chicago office is in the Kesner Building, Madison street and Wabash avenue. A complete line of samples of the company’s output is kept on display in these salesrooms, which are visited by large numbers of persons.
Among the products manufactured by this house, the recognized leaders in art metal novelties, are clocks, jewel cases, desk articles, smokers’ articles, toilet novelties, vases, candelabra, electric portables, ink wells, calendars, religious and church goods, frames, statuettes, thermometers etc. The entire list includes more than ten thousand numbers.
As the company has unequalled facilities for buying raw material and turning out finished stock, its products are not equalled for richness of design, beauty of finish, quality or price. All this cannot be gained in a year or two, but has come as a result of more than thirty years of constant effort to produce the best, to keep the price at a reasonable figure, and to give the purchaser goods in every respect as represented in the catalogue.
The man whose energy, enterprise and business acumen has developed this business is Louis V. Aronson, a prominent citizen of Newark, and a gentleman whose public service to the play- ground commission has been favorably commented upon by the local press. He is thoroughly identified with Newark and the city’s progress, and is one of the citizens who stands ready to help forward the various movements for the city’s good. Mr. Aronson’s career extends over a period of more than thirty years, the success he has gained in his own work, makes his ability as a leader and if opportunity affords he can doubtless prove to the public his qualifications for successfully filling other and more important offices than that of Commissioner. The Art Metal Works, of which Mr. Aronson is president, is capitalized at $150 000, and was incorporated in 1896. The secretary of the company is Alexander Harris, and the employees number from one hundred and fifty to two hundred persons. Fully 100,000 square feet of floor space is used. Newark, the city of industry: facts and figures concerning the metropolis of …By Board of Trade of the City of Newark (Newark, N.J.) 1912
1903. TO OUR FRIENDs AND PATRONS It is with much pleasure that we announce to you that Mr Justice Wheeler of the United States Circuit Court on the 9th of January 1903 filed his opinion directing that the bill of complaint filed by the Royal Metal Manufacturing Company against the Art Metal Works be dismissed for the reason that the belt manufactured by the Art Metal Works which was that complained of has nothing in common with the Royal Metal Manufacturing Company’s patent except the downward dip. This the Court decided was not a matter which could be claimed by the Royal Metal Manufacturing Company patentee as novel nor patentable holding therefore not only that there was no infringement of the patent but that this important element of the patent is neither novel nor patentable. This proves that the assertion frequently made by us that we are not imitators of our competitors has been established by the United States Circuit Court. We have been content to rest upon our past record in support of our representations to the trade, but it is pleasing to be able to announce this judicial determination as substantiating our position. Respectfully THE ART METAL WORKS Factory NEWARK NJ 621 Broadway, New York. Notions and fancy goods, Volume 37 1903
1904 The ART METAL WORKS Factory Newark, N.J., 621 Broadway, New York. Figures, Clocks, Vases etc., Inks, Thermometers, etc., Our new lines for 1904 are now in process and will be ready early in February. We shall offer many new patterns and several finishes which are exclusive with us. We solicit inspection and comparison from buyers for the larger trade. Notions and Fancy Goods Vol. 35
1905 Artistic Goods The demand for electroliers is steadily increasing as more and more houses are having electricity installed for lighting purposes. The beautiful electroliers, made by the Art Metal Works, have met with instantaneous success. As with all the goods made by this concern, these are made and finished in the best possible manner. The designing is especially worthy of mention. The illustration shows one of the newer numbers.
1905. Sig G. Hecht, of the Art Metal Works, honored the memory of the father of his country by embarking matrimony on Washington’s Birthday with Miss Mayer as his companion voyager. A most enjoyable reception was held at the Waldorf-Astoria.
A Handsome Line. The Art Metal Works have removed their New York salesroom to Room 410 in the Cable Building where they have much more room in which to display their large line of samples. They have added a beautiful line of electroliers to those already carried making more than two hundred numbers in these goods. Some handsome new finishes are to be seen and altogether the line is greatly enlarged and improved.
Artistic Metal Goods. MANY clever and artistic designs in metal goods have been made up by the Art Metal Works for the coming season. This concern has always made a specialty of producing exclusive designs and fine finishes while, at the same time, their goods are suitable for the popular price trade as well as the most exclusive dealers. This season they have produced a line of electroliers which for elegance and artistic beauty is especially noteworthy. For Easter trade they are offering a splendid assortment of vases and other suitable goods. The finest gold is used on their gold finished goods, insuring a permanency of the article which is a most important consideration.
Artistic Metal Goods. The remarkable showing made by the Art Metal Works this season speaks volumes for the enterprise of this concern. Their newest production is a line electroliers made and finished in the best possible, and sold at prices which will be certain to interest buyers. These goods compare favorably in every with the finest productions of European makers, their artistic merit and beauty of design and finish placing them right at the top. Of course, there are innumerable things useful for Holiday and Wedding gifts including bronzes, candelabra, ink stands, clocks, vases, and all the other articles which go to make up a complete and salable assortment of artistic metal goods. Fabrics, fancy goods and Notions, Volume 39 1905
January, 1907. To the Trade. In view of the heavy increase in the cost of raw materials, as well as production, we are compelled to give notice of an advance in the selling prices of all Clocks and Novelties made by us. A new schedule of quotations is now in preparation. In the meantime, we hope to be favored with your valued orders for any clocks or novelties of which you may be in immediate need, assuring you that the prices accorded will meet the market quotations on clocks for 1907. THE ART METAL WORKS Office and Factory NEWARK N.J., NEW YORK SALESROOM 621 BROADWAY 1907 Notions and fancy goods, Volume 41
1907. Sig G. Hecht, representing the Art Metal Works, arrived at the Palmer House April 19. Their line of electroliers, clocks, frames, mirrors, etc., is attractively displayed in room 618. 1907 Notions and fancy goods, Volume 41
August, 1912. LOUIS V. ARONSON FOR MAYOR. Louis V. Aronson, President of the Art Metal Works with factory at Newark and offices in New York, is being much talked of as the coming Republican candidate for Mayor of Newark. Mr. Aronson is a very influential and well liked resident of that city, a prominent Mason, and the head of the City Playground movement, in which capacity he has done splendid work and has earned the gratitude and esteem of thousands of his fellow citizens. If nominated, it is believed that he stands an excellent chance for election. Notions and fancy goods, Volume 46 1912
1917. Among the contributions to the Newark branch of the American Jewish Relief Committee for the Jewish Relief Fund were those of Louis V. Aronson, president of the Art Metal Works, who gave $250. The Jewelers’ circular, Volume 74, Issue 2
LOUIS V. ARONSON
The career of Louis V. Aronson furnishes a conspicuous example of that combination of striking mental abilities united to scientific training of a high order and to a character which unites in an unusual degree enthusiasm, ambition, and a resistless energy. The successful men of America have made this type of business man so familiar as a product of the soil that to the European it is scarcely short of incredible that the country should produce so many examples of the same kind. Coming of parents to whom the free and inspiring atmosphere of these United States has acted as a vitalizer, the youth of an old world parentage find here the opportunities that were denied their parents, and the energy and the enthusiasm for the new ideals that has characterized the parents and caused them to seek new homes seems to act on the children as a tonic wine and bring out an Americanism more intense than that of the Americans themselves. The country owes much to this virile new blood which constantly and emphatically confirms the hopes for free institutions, that were entertained for them by the fathers of the Republic.
Of such a stock comes Louis V. Aronson, a chemist of high rank, a scientific manufacturer, and a business man who has given to the community a hundredfold the worth of the training he, in common with the other boys of his time and city, received at the hands of the municipality. Even a few instances of such returns would be sufficient to justify the system of public instruction that is carried out at the present day. Louis V. Aronson is a son of Simon and Jennie Aronson, who were natives of Prussia. He was born December 25, 1869, in New York City, and there his boyhood was spent. He was sent to the public schools, showing as a young lad that keen, ready, and resourceful mind which was an earnest of the future man. His natural bias being strongly mechanical, his choice after leaving school was the Hebrew Technical Institute, and there he remained for several years making himself so entirely a master of the subjects of metallurgy and the science of electro-metallurgical chemistry that he attracted the attention of the authorities at the head of the Baron de Hirsch School. He therefore left school to become an instructor in these sciences at that institution. Leaving this position to seek the wider opportunities of business, he obtained work with a firm who made a specialty of the manufacture of rubber jewelry. Young Mr. Aronson had that type of mind which gains from every experience, and he learned much during the year he spent here, giving at the same time generously of his own large stock of information on the theory of chemistry. His next engagement was with M. Hecht & Brother, a firm which made artistic metal goods of a high class, and here he found scope for the extensive acquisitions he had made in metallurgy, putting into practical use his knowledge of the processes of treating metals. His information, ingenuity and enthusiasm won speedy recognition, and it was not long before he had acquired an interest in the firm, putting his energies into the work of the New York factory, and remaining for several years.
The year 1897 saw the establishment of the Art Metal Works on Railroad avenue, Newark, New Jersey, but after a short time the quarters were found to be entirely inadequate to the volume of business, and a new location was found on Market street, with salesrooms in New York City.
With the entrance of Mr. Aronson into this organization began a new era in the manufacture of high class metal goods, and such were the improvements in the treatment and processes of the making that an entirely new grade of the highest type was developed and the American product was able to hold its own against the finest European importation. So enormous soon became the influx of new trade that the business was compelled again to seek larger accommodations. The industry finally secured the large and well-equipped plant where the product is now made in Mulberry street. The building is in itself a valuable piece of property, and is a remarkable instance of industrial growth along the healthy lines of scientific thoroughness as the basis of the manufacture, and of a sound, generous and straightforward business policy. The works consist of a four-story brick building, 110 feet in width by 113 in depth, and built with such structural solidity that further additions may be added when they become necessary.
Mr. Aronson has taken out nine different patents upon improvements in the processes of metallurgy as applied to high art metal work and jewelry. Through his ingenuity it has been made possible to reproduce the most elaborate and exquisite workmanship and bring it within the range of the connoisseur of moderate means. He fortunately has with the skill, deftness of touch and mechanical ingenuity of the artisan, the taste and imagination of the sculptor and artist. So great an authority has he become in electro-metallurgy that he is retained as consulting chemist for a number of large manufacturers, and in this branch of science is the court of ultimate appeal not only in the United States but in the world.
His experiments, which he has been conducting since his early youth, resulted in 1893 in the discovery of a process for electrically producing tin- plate. Much money was expended upon improving the process, and an organization was formed to put the process upon a business basis. The tariff agitation that at that time was before the public mind made it necessary for the syndicate to suspend its production and the subsequent reduction on the duty very largely took from the commercial profits of the discovery, but the process has been installed in some of the largest plants in the country, and has been of great practical value to the whole industry.
Another discovery of Mr. Aronson was the wind-match, for which he applied for a patent December 29, 1896. His inventive genius had found a chemical combination which insured combustion in the highest wind, a boon to the tourist as well as to the explorer and the hunter. The patent was granted October 26, 1897, and a testimony to its merits is shown by the following letter written by the former scientific chemist to the Royal Society of Great Britain in response to an inquiry of some capitalists as to the chemical and commercial importance of the match: “In regard to the match patent by Louis V. Aronson, which patent is dated October 26, 1897, the number of which is 592,227, I beg to state that during the progress of this invention and application for patent, I carefully examined, as chemist, the various steps described therein, and have carefully considered it both commercially and chemically. My conclusions are that the process of manufacture is a simple one, the product a superior one, and the patent a broad and complete one, and can, therefore, recommend it fully and well to you. If properly placed on the market, I feel convinced that it will make a great success, as the article certainly fills a long-felt want and has not any of the objectionable features of the wind-matches heretofore placed on the market. “(Signed) MARTIN E. WALSTEIN.”
In the investigations conducted for the purpose of improving this wind-match, Mr. Aronson discovered the method for making a non-phosphorous match. This had been the goal of endeavor for chemical investigators in the industrial world for a long time, the necessity for that ingredient being the cause of that dreaded disease known in the match-making industry as “phossy jaw.” The Belgian government had offered a prize of 50,000 francs, or 110,000, in a competition open to the whole world. This offer had stirred up scientists and chemists to redouble their efforts to produce such a match, and many came very near to eliminating this poisonous phosphorous from the match. The prize was, however, awarded to Mr. Aronson, he being adjudged the only one to produce an absolutely non-phosphorous match, and to have complied entirely with the conditions of the contest. This triumph for American production is hoped will in time secure a generous reward to the discoverer, since negotiations are in progress with some of the largest manufacturers in the world for the rights for its production and sale.
In 1895 Mr. Aronson brought his family to Newark and they have resided there ever since. He was for a number of years a member of the Seventy-first Regiment National Guard of New York, discharging his duties in that organization with the exemplary fidelity and thoroughness which marks the man. He is a charter member of Columbia Lodge, No. 176, Free and Accepted Masons; of Harmony Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Kane Council, Royal and Select Masters; has taken the thirty-second degree, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite; and a member of the Ancient Arabic Order, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is also a member of Newark Lodge, No. 21, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; of Washington Lodge, No. 31, Knights of Pythias; of the Progress Club, and of the Manufacturers’ Committee of the Board of Trade. A social club was organized in December, 1900, and out of compliment to Mr. Aronson was named the Louis V. Aronson Business Men’s Association, in recognition of his generous interest and activity in furthering the welfare of his associates and friends. Among the honors which have been paid Mr. Aronson, not the least was the concession granted the Art Metal Works by the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in 1904, to have the exclusive right to produce their wares on the grounds of the exposition. This was without doubt an unusual recognition of the high standard of their output.
Mr. Aronson married, January 6, 1891, Gertrude, daughter of Joseph and Teresa Deutsch, residents of New York City. They have three children: Alex, born March 25, 1892; Helen, born January 26, 1894; and Bella, born February 26, 1897. Mr. Aronson and his wife are members of the congregation of Temple B’nai Abraham, and are active and generous supporters of all the charitable works and societies fostered by the congregation. In politics Mr. Aronson is an Independent, caring more to put into office the man best suited to it, than to follow the lead of a party dogma. A conspicuous example of success earned by his own talents and industry, as a citizen he is no less worthy of the esteem and respect that he has won. No good cause for the betterment of the unfortunate but receives his generous support, and the community has in him an exemplar of all the virtues of a good citizen. FROM: A History of the City of Newark New Jersey Embracing Practically Two and a Half Centuries 1666-1913
PUBLISHERS: The Lewis Historical Publishing Co. New York, Chicago 1913